Tuesday, April 24, 2007

King Of The Impossible


Two years too late for a 25th Anniversary edition, FLASH GORDON is finally coming to DVD in a package it deserves. The original OOP DVD was released by Image with absolutely no extras whatsoever, just chapter stops. It looks okay for a disc released in 1998, but it wasn't even anamorphic (not that I have a widescreen TV yet).

Universal's "Savior of the Universe Edition" comes out August 7 with a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. Imagine Queen's kickass soundtrack pounding through your speakers at 5.1. I don't know yet what extras this DVD will have, but it will unquestionably be a must-buy. FLASH GORDON was the first film I saw twice theatrically, and I've enjoyed revisiting it every four or five years. I'd still cut about ten minutes out of the middle, but FLASH GORDON is great, colorful fun. And you gotta love that gorgeous Alex Ross artwork on the DVD box.

Maybe Universal can include the Queen soundtrack album as a second disc a la Synapse and BLUE SUNSHINE. Has the FLASH GORDON album ever been on CD?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think the soundtrack has ever been on CD. Oops. I stand corrected by this two second amazon search.

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-Soundtrack-Queen/dp/B000000OBF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-8557799-5662333?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177935898&sr=8-3

Oh well. I still have the original soundtrack on vinyl, in a frame, on the wall of my office.

Buddha

Marty McKee said...

What? And the cleaning lady hasn't stolen it?